7. Researching international law
This section aims to help
you find the various types of international law materials, including treaties
and international agreements, case law of international courts and tribunals,
and the international organisations responsible for many treaties and
7.1. Finding international law materials - introduction
Go to the
International page and look at the subcategories
available. They will be needed for this part of the Exercises.
7.2. Finding international organisations
- Task: Find the web
sites for 4 of the following international organisations. Some are
inter-government organisations. Choose the ones that interest you most.
- the World Trade Organisation (WTO)
- the Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- South Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP)
- the Permanent Court of Arbitration
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
- the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda
- the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO)
- Transparency International
- the International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (Unidroit)
- Which are the most important international organisations in your subject
interest areas? Try to find their web sites. You can use both browsing and
7.3. Finding international case law
Go to the
International Courts & Tribunals page.
- Task: Find decisions of the International Court of Justice
concerning one of the following (according to your interest):
- the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations
- the death penalty
- Find the most extensive list that you can of the world's international
Courts and Tribunals.
- Which International Courts and Tribunals are relevant to your subjects? Try
to find their web sites and find out whether the decisions of that Court or
Tribunal can be searched.
7.4. Finding treaties
Go to the
Treaties & International Agreements page to
start this research.
- Do your two countries publish treaties to which they are parties on the
- Can you find treaties concerning your two subjects of interest by browsing
- Task: Are there any treaties concerning environmental impact
assessment? Use both browsing and a limited scope search to try to find any such
- Task: How would you find the widest range of articles, cases, law
reform reports and other legal materials which have considered one of the
environmental treaties you have found?
- Task: For a treaty that you have found, try to find the
- details of the States that are parties to it
- whether there are any reservations or declarations entered in relation to
- Are your two countries parties to the treaty, and have they entered any
reservations or declarations?
- Answer the above three sets questions in relation to a treaty concerning one
of these subjects of interest to you:
- inter-country adoption
- international bills of exchange
- one of your subjects of interest