Public Rights Licences
The Framework Open License
This License Agreement, The Frameworx Open License 1.0, has been entered into between The Frameworx Company and you, the licensee hereunder, effective as of Your acceptance of the Frameworx Code Base or an Downstream Distribution (each as defined below).
The Frameworx Company is committed to the belief that open source software results in better quality, greater technical and product innovation in the market place and a more empowered and productive developer and end-user community. Our objective is to ensure that the Frameworx Code Base, and the source code for improvements and innovations to it, remain free and open to the community. To further these beliefs and objectives, we are distributing the Frameworx Code Base, without royalties and in source code form, to the community pursuant to this License Agreement.
The Frameworx Company and You have agreed as follows:
1. Definitions. The following terms have the following respective meanings:
(a) Frameworx Code Base means the software developed by The Frameworx Company and made available under this License Agreement
(b) Downstream Distribution means any direct or indirect release, distribution or remote availability of software (i) that directly or indirectly contains, or depends for its intended functioning on, the Frameworx Code Base or any portion or element thereof and (ii) in which rights to use and distribute such Frameworx Code Base software depend, directly or indirectly, on the License provided in Section 2 below.
(c) "Source Code" to any software means the preferred form for making modifications to that software, including any associated documentation, interface definition files and compilation or installation scripts, or any version thereof that has been compressed or archived, and can be reconstituted, using an appropriate and generally available archival or compression technology.
(d) Value-Added Services means any commercial or fee-based software-related service, including without limitation: system or application development or consulting; technical or end-user support or training; distribution maintenance, configuration or versioning; or outsourced, hosted or network-based application services.
2. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions hereof, The Frameworx Company hereby grants You a non-exclusive license (the License), subject to third party intellectual property claims, and for no fee other than a nominal charge reflecting the costs of physical distribution, to:
(a) use the Frameworx Code Base, in either Source Code or machine-readable form;
(b) make modifications, additions and deletions to the content or structure of the Frameworx Code Base; or
(c) create larger works or derivative works including the Frameworx Code Base or any portion or element thereof; and
(d) release, distribute or make available, either generally or to any specific third-party, any of the foregoing in Source Code or binary form.
3. License Conditions. The grant of the License under Section 1 hereof, and your exercise of all rights in connection with this License Agreement, will remain subject to the following terms and conditions, as well as to the other provisions hereof:
(a) Complete Source Code for any Downstream Distribution directly or indirectly made by You that contains, or depends for its intended functionality on, the Frameworx Code Base, or any portion or element thereof, shall be made freely available to all users thereof on terms and conditions no more restrictive, and no less favorable for any user (including, without limitation, with regard to Source Code availability and royalty-free use) than those terms and conditions provided in this License Agreement.
(b) Any Value-Added Services that you offer or provide, directly or indirectly, in relation to any Downstream Distribution shall be offered and provided on commercial terms that are reasonably commensurate to the fair market value of such Value-Added Services. In addition, the terms and conditions on which any such Value Added Services are so offered or provided shall be consistent with, and shall fully support, the intent and purpose of this License Agreement.
(c) All Downstream Distributions shall:
(i) include all portions and elements of the Frameworx Code Base required to build the Source Code of such Downstream Distribution into a fully functional machine-executable system, or additional build scripts or comparable software necessary and sufficient for such purposes;
(ii) include, in each file containing any portion or element of the Frameworx Code Base, the following identifying legend: This file contains software that has been made available under The Frameworx Open License 1.0. Use and distribution hereof are subject to the restrictions set forth therein.
(iii) include all other copyright notices, authorship credits, warranty disclaimers (including that provided in Section 6 below), legends, documentation, annotations and comments contained in the Frameworx Code Base as provided to You hereunder;
(iv) contain an unaltered copy of the html file named frameworx_community_invitation.html included within the Frameworx Code Base that acknowledges new users and provides them with information on the Frameworx Code Base community;
(v) contain an unaltered copy of the text file named the_frameworx_license.txt included within the Frameworx Code Base that includes a text copy of the form of this License Agreement; and
(vi) prominently display to any viewer or user of the Source Code of such Open Downstream Distribution, in the place and manner normally used for such displays, the following legend:
Source code licensed under from The Frameworx Company is contained herein, and such source code has been obtained either under The Frameworx Open License, or another license granted by The Frameworx Company. Use and distribution hereof is subject to the restrictions provided in the relevant such license and to the copyrights of the licensor thereunder. A copy of The Frameworx Open License is provided in a file named the_frameworx_license.txt and included herein, and may also be available for inspection at http://www.frameworx.com.
4. Restrictions on Open Downstream Distributions. Each Downstream Distribution made by You, and by any party directly or indirectly obtaining rights to the Frameworx Code Base through You, shall be made subject to a license grant or agreement to the extent necessary so that each distributee under that Downstream Distribution will be subject to the same restrictions on re-distribution and use as are binding on You hereunder. You may satisfy this licensing requirement either by:
(a) requiring as a condition to any Downstream Distribution made by you, or by any direct or indirect distributee of Your Downstream Distribution (or any portion or element thereof), that each distributee under the relevant Downstream Distribution obtain a direct license (on the same terms and conditions as those in this License Agreement) from The Frameworx Company; or
(b) sub-licensing all (and not less than all) of Your rights and obligations hereunder to that distributee, including (without limitation) Your obligation to require distributees to be bound by license restrictions as contemplated by this Section 4 above.
The Frameworx Company hereby grants to you all rights to sub-license your rights hereunder as necessary to fully effect the intent and purpose of this Section 4 above, provided, however, that your rights and obligations hereunder shall be unaffected by any such sublicensing. In addition, The Frameworx Company expressly retains all rights to take all appropriate action (including legal action) against any such direct or indirect sub-licensee to ensure its full compliance with the intent and purposes of this License Agreement.
5. Intellectual Property. Except as expressly provided herein, this License Agreement preserves and respects Your and The Frameworx Companys respective intellectual property rights, including, in the case of The Frameworx Company, its copyrights and patent rights relating to the Frameworx Code Base.
6. Warranty Disclaimer. THE SOFTWARE LICENSED HEREUNDER IS PROVIDED ``AS IS.'' ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE LICENSOR OF THIS SOFTWARE, BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES INCLUDING (BUT NOT LIMITED TO) PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
7. License Violation. The License, and all of your rights thereunder, shall be deemed automatically terminated and void as of any Downstream Distribution directly or indirectly made or facilitated by You that violates the provisions of this License Agreement, provided, however, that this License Agreement shall survive any such termination in order to remedy the effects of such violation. This License Agreement shall be binding on the legal successors and assigns of the parties hereto.
Your agreement to the foregoing as of the date hereof has been evidenced by your acceptance of the relevant software distribution hereunder.
(C) THE FRAMEWORX COMPANY 2003