European Communities International Agreements
Agreement between the European Economic Community and
the Socialist Republic of Romania on the establishment of the Joint
Official Journal L 352 , 29/12/1980 P. 0002 - 0004
Greek special edition: Chapter 11 Volume 23 P. 0014
Spanish special edition: Chapter 11 Volume 13 P. 0074
Portuguese special edition Chapter 11 Volume 13 P. 0074
AGREEMENT between the European Economic Community and the Socialist Republic of Romania on the establishment of the Joint Committee
THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES
THE GOVERNMENT OF THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF ROMANIA,
CONSIDERING the traditional trade relations between the Member States of the European Economic Community, hereinafter called "the Community", and the Socialist Republic of Romania, hereinafter called "Romania",
CONSIDERING the powers assigned to the Community under the Treaty establishing the European Economic Community,
DESIRING to develop trade relations on the basis of equality and mutual satisfaction of the partners and of reciprocity permitting as a whole, an equitable distribution of advantages and obligations of comparable scale, with respect for bilateral and multilateral agreements,
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT the Parties' respective levels of economic development and Romania's membership of the "Group of 77 developing countries",
REAFFIRMING the importance which the Parties attach to the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade ; whereas, in compliance with the provisions of that Agreement and the Protocol of Accession of Romania thereto, they grant each other most-favoured-nation treatment,
WHEREAS there is an Agreement on trade in textile products between the Community and Romania;
WHEREAS an Arrangement on Romanian exports of iron and steel products covered by the Treaty establishing the European Coal and Steel Community has been concluded between the Community and Romania;
WHEREAS an Agreement on trade in other industrial products has been concluded between the Community and Romania,
WHEREAS the establishment of a framework, taking the form of a Joint Committee, will make it possible to hold periodic exchanges of views on various aspects of the Parties' economic relations and to examine measures aimed at ensuring the harmonious development of those relations;
RECOGNIZING the importance of the new direct link thus created by the establishment of a Joint Committee, which will provide a means of giving fresh impetus to economic and trade relations between the Community and Romania,
HAVE DECIDED to conclude this Agreement:
1. A Joint Committee is hereby established, composed of representatives of the Community, on the one hand, and representatives of Romania, on the other.
The tasks of the Joint Committee shall be: - to examine the various aspects of trade between the Parties, notably its overall pattern, rate of growth, structure and diversification, the trade balance and the various forms of trade and trade promotion;
- to make recommendations on any trade problem of mutual concern;
- to seek appropriate means of avoiding possible difficulties in the fields of trade and to encourage various forms of commercial cooperation in areas of mutual interest ;
- to consider measures likely to develop and diversify trade, notably by improving import opportunities in the Community and in Romania;
- to exchange information on structural guidelines laid down for the economies of the two Parties which have an impact on trade and, by extension on the scope for developing complementarity between the respective economies and also on the proposed economic development programmes;
- to see that the agreements and arrangements between the Parties function properly and to carry out the tasks assigned to it under those agreements or arrangements;
- to give sympathetic consideration to possible ways of improving conditions for the development of direct contacts between firms established in the Community and those established in Romania;
- to formulate and submit to the authorities of both Parties recommendations for solving any problems that arise, where appropriate by means of the conclusion of arrangements or agreements.
2. The Joint Committee shall meet at the highest possible level and shall adopt recommendations by mutual agreement between the Parties.
Should the Parties consider it necessary, the Joint Committee may meet on an ad hoc basis in order to deal with special problems and hold the consultations provided for under the agreements between the Parties.
The Joint Committee shall meet once a year in Brussels and Bucharest alternately. Special meetings may be convened by mutual agreement, at the request of either Contracting Party. The office of Chairman of the Joint Committee shall be held alternately by each of the Contracting Parties.
Wherever possible, the agenda for meetings of the Joint Committee will be agreed beforehand.
This Agreement shall apply, on the one hand, to the territories in which the Treaty establishing the European Economic Community is applied and under the conditions laid down in that Treaty and, on the other hand, to the territory of Romania.
This Agreement shall enter into force on the first day of the month following the date on which the Contracting Parties notify each other that the legal procedures necessary for that purpose have been completed. The agreement shall be concluded for an unlimited period. Either Contracting Party may denounce the agreement at any time however, by giving six months' notice.
This Agreement may be amended by mutual agreement between the Contracting Parties to take account of new developments.
This Agreement is drawn up in duplicate in the Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian and Romanian languages, each of these texts being equally authentic.
Udfærdiget i Bukarest, den otteogtyvende juli nitten hundrede og firs.
Geschehen zu Bukarest am achtundzwanzigsten Juli neunzehnhundertachtzig.
Done at Bucharest on the twenty-eighth day of July in the year one thousand nine hundred and eighty.
Fait à Bucarest, le vingt-huit juillet mil neuf cent quatre-vingt.
Fatto a Bucarest, addì ventotto luglio millenovecentottanta.
Gedaan te Boekarest, de achtentwintigste juli negentienhonderd tachtig.
>PIC FILE= "T0035715">
For Rådet for De europæiske Fællesskaber,
Für den Rat der Europäischen Gemeinschaften,
For the Council of the European Communities,
Pour le Conseil des Communautés européennes,
Per il Consiglio delle Comunità europee,
Voor de Raad van de Europese Gemeenschappen,
>PIC FILE= "T0035716">
For Regeringen for Den socialistiske republik Rumænien,
Für die Regierung der Sozialistischen Republik Rumänien,
For the Government of the Socialist Republic of Romania,
Pour le gouvernement de la république socialiste de Roumanie,
Per il governo della Repubblica socialista di Romania,
Voor de Regering van de Socialistische Republiek Roemenië,
Pentru Guvernul Republicii Socialiste România,
>PIC FILE= "T0035717">