European Communities International Agreements
Draft Agreement extending and amending the Agreement
between the European Economic Community and the Swiss Confederation
on a concerted-action
project in the field of the detection of the
tendency to thrombosis
Official Journal L 075 , 20/03/1986 P. 0032
extending and amending the Agreement between the European Economic Community and the Swiss Confederation on a concerted-action project in the field of the detection of the tendency to thrombosis
THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC COMMUNITY,
of the one part, and
THE SWISS CONFEDERATION,
on the other part,
hereinafter referred to as 'the Contracting Parties',
WHEREAS, on 24 March 1982, the European Economic Community and the Swiss Confederation signed an Agreement on a concerted-action project in the field of the detection of the tendency to thrombosis, hereinafter referred to as 'the Agreement';
WHEREAS the Agreement expired on 31 May 1984;
WHEREAS by its Decision of 17 August 1982, the Council of the European Communities adopted a sectoral research and development programme in the field of medical and public-health research - concerted action - (1982 to 1986), which provides, inter alia, for the continuation of the project on the detection of the tendency to thrombosis;
WHEREAS it is mutually advantageous for the Contracting Parties to continue the research covered by the Agreement;
WHEREAS the extension of the Agreement necessitates an additional contribution from the Contracting Parties,
HAVE AGREED AS FOLLOWS:
The Agreement is hereby extended from 1 June 1984 to 31 December 1986.
The Agreement is hereby amended as follows:
1. Article 3 shall be replaced by the following:
In order to facilitate the execution of the project, the General Concerted-Action Committee and the Concerted-Action Committee responsible for this project, set up by Decision of the Council of the European Communities of 17 August 1982, shall be enlarged, for all matters relating to the concerted-action project covered by this Agreement, to include the Swiss Confederation.
The terms of reference of these enlarged Committees shall be as set out in Annex II hereto.
The secretariat for these enlarged Committees shall be provided by the Commission.'
2. Article 5 shall be amended as follows:
- the word 'Committee' in the first paragraph shall be replaced by the words 'enlarged General Committee';
- the second paragraph shall be deleted,
- the former third paragraph shall be replaced by the following:
'On completion of the project, the Commission, in agreement with the enlarged General Committee, shall forward to the States a general report on the execution and the results of the project, in particular in order that the results obtained may become accessible as rapidly as possible to the undertakings, institutions and other parties concerned, especially in the social field.'
3. Annex I shall be replaced by Annex I to this Agreement.
4. Annex II shall be replaced by Annex II to this Agreement.
5. The Annex to Annex III shall be replaced by Annex III to this Agreement.
The estimated financial contributions of the Contracting Parties to the coordination costs for the period extending from 1 June 1984 to 31 December 1986 amount to:
- 387 500 ECU from the Community,
- 38 750 ECU from the Swiss Confederation.
The ECU is that defined by the Financial Regulation applicable to the general budget of the European Communities and by the financial provisions adopted pursuant to that Regulation.
1. This Agreement shall enter into force on 1 June 1984.
2. This Agreement shall apply, on the one hand, to the territories in which the Treaty establishing the European Economic Community is applied, and under the conditions laid down in that Treaty and, on the other hand, to the territory of the Swiss Confederation.
This Agreement, drawn up in a single original in the Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish languages, each text being equally authentic, shall be deposited in the archives of the General Secretariat of the Council of the European Communities, which shall transmit a certified copy to each of the Contracting Parties.
RESEARCH COVERED BY THE AGREEMENT
Detection of tendency to thrombosis by developing and standardizing blood plasma assays from the field of platelets, coagulation and fibrinolysis, and by testing their predictive value for thrombosis in prospective clinical studies.
TERMS OF REFERENCE OF THE ENLARGED COMMITTEES
I. Enlarged General Concerted Action Committee
1. The General Committee shall:
- contribute to the optimum implementation of the programme by giving its opinion on all its aspects,
- endeavour to integrate those parts of national research activities covered by the Agreement into a process of coordination between the Contracting Parties,
- within the limits of the programme as defined in Annex I, coordinate the activities, duration, and possibly, early termination of the projects forming the research areas of this programme, according to emerging needs or the results of periodical evaluations,
- indicate guidelines to the enlarged Concerted Action Committee,
- advise the Commission on allocation of funds for coordination purposes, supporting centralized facilities, meeting urgent needs in critical areas, and undertaking exploratory activities in view of the preparation of future programmes.
2. The reports and opinions of the General Committee shall be forwarded to the Contracting Parties. The Commission shall forward these opinions to the Committee for Scientific and Technical Research (CREST).
II. Enlarged Concerted Action Committee
1. The Committee shall:
- assist the enlarged General Committee in its management tasks by ensuring the scientific and technical execution of all those projects assigned to it in accordance with its competence,
- evaluate the results and draw conclusions as regards their application,
- be responsible for the exchange of information referred to in the first paragraph of Article 5,
- keep abreast of national research being done in the field of the projects and, more especially, of scientific and technical developments likely to affect their exection,
- suggest guidelines to the Project Leader.
2. The Committee's reports and opinions shall be forwarded to the enlarged General Committee and to the Commission.
3. The Project Leader shall attend the meetings of the Committee but shall not have the right to vote.
PROVISIONAL TIMETABLE FOR COORDINATION COSTS
RELATING TO THE PROJECT ON THE DETECTION OF THE TENDENCY TO THROMBOSIS
Budget Item 7325 "Medical Research"
1.2,3.4,5.6,7 // // // // // // 1984 June-December // 1985 to 1986 // Total // // // 22.214.171.124.5.6.7 // // CA // PA // CA // PA // CA // PA // // // // // // // // 1. Initial estimate of overall requirements // 87 500 // 87 500 // 300 000 // 300 000 // 387 500 // 387 500 // // // // // // // // TOTAL // 87 500 // 87 500 // 300 000 // 300 000 // 387 500 // 387 500 // 2. Revised estimate of expenditure taking into account additional requirements arising from the accession of the Swiss Confederation // 8 750 // 8 750 // 30 000 // 30 000 // 38 750 // 38 750 // // // // // // // // NEW TOTAL // 96 250 // 96 250 // 330 000 // 330 000 // 426 250 // 426 250 // // // // // // // // 3. Difference between 1 and 2 to be covered by the contribution from the Swiss Confederation // 8 750 // 8 750 // 30 000 // 30 000 // 38 750 // 38 750 // // // // // // // // 4. Total expenditure 1980 to 1984 // - // - // - // - // 654 000 // 654 000 // // // // // // // 1.2 // CA: // Commitment appropriations. // PA: // Payment appropriations.'